Curatorial and Programming Assistant
- Volet de programme : Jeunesse Canada au travail pour une carrière vouée au patrimoine
- Titre de l'emploi : Curatorial and Programming Assistant
- Nom de l’organisme : Kelowna Art Gallery
- Lieu de l’emploi : Kelowna, Colombie-Britannique
- Durée de l'emploi : 2018-09-04 à 2019-03-29 (29,43 semaines)
- Salaire horaire : 15,00 $
Kelowna Art Gallery
Title: Curatorial and Programming Assistant
Duration: 30 weeks (Young Canada Works Internship)
Start and end dates: September 4, 2018 to March 29, 2019
Language of work: English
Wage: $15 per hour
Application deadline: July 29, 2018
Candidate must be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment as per Young Canada Works requirements
The Kelowna Art Gallery’s looking to hire a Curatorial and Programming Assistant that will achieve a standard of excellence in overall development of exhibitions, public programs, studio programs, school programs, and community-based projects initiatives that build understanding of art and its practices by engaging visitors of all ages and experience levels, with the goal of growing the Kelowna Art Gallery’s audience participation. This position requires an individual who is fueled by a desire to connect art and people. The position will play a defining role in the Gallery’s exhibition and educational offerings, connecting the Gallery with our community through innovative programs that challenge conventions.
The Curatorial and Programming Assistant will grow our institutions community outreach by actively communicating with organizations throughout the region to identify trends, issues, needs, and potential collaborators. Community engagement is about the possibility, promise, and fulfillment of relationships. When people come together it is possible to create positive, significant, and lasting differences in communities. The role of the Curatorial and Programming Assistant will be to build respectful relationships among individuals, communities, and the Kelowna Art Gallery, which is core to our mission and foundational to our continued success.
Project tasks will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assisting the Curatorial department with the production exhibitions for five gallery spaces, including a satellite gallery at the Kelowna International Airport.
• Assisting the Public Programming department with coordinating community events.
• Developing exhibition-related art activities for our Art Lab studio space.
• Assisting public programming department with writing educational brochures for exhibitions.
• Assisting with and leading various educational programs for children, youth, adults, seniors, and individuals with disabilities.
• Candidate must be Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
• Candidate must be a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment. Graduate will have completed a Degree or Master’s Degree in fine arts, art history, or museum studies.
• Candidate will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment as per Young Canada Works requirements.
• Candidate will have a basic level of computer skills and be able to utilize programs like Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
• Candidate will have had prior experience working with the public.
• Candidate must be creative, outgoing, self-motivated and work well with a team.
• Knowledge of art history, contemporary art, as well as various art materials and techniques is strongly encouraged.
• Previous experience working in a gallery or museum environment is an asset.
• The ability to speak French is an asset.
The Kelowna Art Gallery is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from self-identified members of underserved communities as well as visible and invisible minority groups. We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Or drop off in person at:
Kelowna Art Gallery
1315 Water Street
Kelowna, BC V1Y 9R3
Characteristics of City/Region:
With a population of approximately 123,500, Kelowna is the largest city in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley. Kelowna boasts all the amenities of a major city: fine dining, unique shops and vibrant culture yet orchards and vineyards thrive within a 10-minute drive of the downtown core. Spectacular vistas aware those ready to explore. A delightful day can be spent sampling the aware-winning ware of our numerous internally-acclaimed wineries, while several championship golf courses draw enthusiasts from all parts of the globe. Situated on the eastern shore of Okanagan Lake mid-way between Penticton in the south and Vernon in the north, Kelowna residents and tourists alike find the lake offers wonderful opportunities for boating, swimming or fishing. The nearby mountains attract hikers, skiers and outdoor enthusiasts of all descriptions.
Retour à la recherche