Visitor Sevices Officer: French Language Programmer
- Volet de programme : Jeunesse Canada au travail dans les deux langues officielles
- Titre de l'emploi : Visitor Sevices Officer: French Language Programmer
- Nom de l’organisme : BYTOWN Museum
- Lieu de l’emploi : Ottawa, Ontario
- Durée de l'emploi : 2017-05-02 à 2017-09-03 (12 semaines)
- Salaire horaire : 12,50 $
YCW Both Official Languages POSTER:
MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM
Position: Visitor Service Officers: French Language Programmer
MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM, OTTAWA, ON
Rate of Pay: $12.50/hour
The BYTOWN MUSEUM is currently looking to recruit two creative and energetic Visitor Services Officers who are passionate about history, francophone language and culture with the intent to implement site specific visitor centered experiences to showcase our stories, heritage, culture and values throughout the 2017 summer season. Their role as Visitor Services Officer: French Language Programmers will to assist us to help us expand our historical interpretation and visitor engagement components within our daily interactions and create the museum as a historical hot spot! This position is an integral part of a professional and enthusiastic team, who will strive to provide an excellent visitor experience to all while supporting the museum’s continued expansion of programming and operations showcasing this monumental year as Canadians from coast to coast, visitors alike will come together to celebrate Canada’s Confederation, our past, present and ignite our future. Coinciding with our country’s 150th birthday, the BYTOWN Museum will mark its Centennial Anniversary of opening its doors as Ottawa’s oldest community museum.
Located in a popular destination area in the heart of downtown Ottawa, the BYTOWN MUSEUM explores the stories of an evolving city and its residents from its early days as Bytown to present day Nation's Capital, providing the residents of Ottawa and visitors from abroad with a sense of identity and pride in Ottawa’s rich story.
• Minimum of one year completed post-secondary education in Museum Studies, History, Education, Marketing, Event Management, Theatre or suitable equivalent
• Passion for working with the public. Outgoing personality and previous customer service experience
• Proven ability to communicate effectively with your colleagues and the public
• Interest in the history of Bytown, Ottawa and the Rideau Canal. Knowledge of Canadian History
• Demonstrated ability to work as a team, assume initiative and work independently
• Fluency in French and English is mandatory
• Able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. Able to climb stairs as there is no elevator access beyond the 2nd floors.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide exceptional customer care as a part of daily operations including: welcoming and orientating guests to products and services within and outside of museum, working within the Cafe & Boutique, opening and closing the Museum, maintaining cleanliness of galleries, facilities and public spaces
• Deliver public programs, guided tours, family programs and special events as required, as well as general interaction and interpretation of the museum with visitors
• Enrich the experience of visitors through general interaction and interpretation of the museum and site; providing local tourism information as requested in both official languages.
In addition, French language Programmer will assist with:
o Facilitation of educational and thematic programming and guided tours in formal and informal settings
o Augment French Language training and promotional materials; evaluate and recommend tourism products and animation for both in-gallery and on site activities
o Contribute to the development and presentation of French language components for all annual and signature events, celebrating the BYTOWN Museum’s 100th Anniversary and Canada 150
• Visitor Service Officers will be expected to be available weekends, holidays and some evenings
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Knowledge of current museum practices as they relate to programming and visitor engagement
• Experience giving tours, planning and coordinating events to a range of audiences
• Experience in the retail and hospitality industry
• Proficiency in writing, photography and photoshop
• Knowledge of language other than English and French
The Visitor Services Officer: French Language Programmer position runs from May 2 to September 3, 2017, with a max of 35 hours/week. Part-time extension in fall is a possibility.
Interviews will be conducted in English with French components.
Candidates must meet Young Canada Works (YCW) eligibility requirements. You are eligible if you:
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at start of employment
- legally entitled to work in Canada
- do not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
- have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the position
Please send your résumé and a cover letter, no later than 4 pm on Wednesday April 5, 2017 to:
Fax: (613) 234-4846
Mail: BYTOWN MUSEUM, P.O. Box 523, Station B; Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5P6
No telephone enquiries please.
While we thank all candidates for showing interest in the MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. The MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM is an equal opportunity employer.
Retour à la recherche