- Volet de programme : Jeunesse Canada au travail dans les deux langues officielles
- Titre de l'emploi : Interpreter
- Nom de l’organisme : Joggins Fossil Institute
- Lieu de l’emploi : Joggins, Nouvelle-Écosse
- Durée de l'emploi : 2018-05-23 à 2018-08-31 (12 semaines)
- Salaire horaire : 12,50 $
Category: Student Co-op
Title of Immediate Supervisor: Director of Operations
Location: Joggins Fossil Cliffs UNESCO World Heritage Site
Hours per Week: 35 (minimum)
Wage per Hour: $ 12.50
Anticipated start date: May 23, 2018
Anticipated end date: August 31, 2018
Interpreters are responsible for enhancing the visitor experience by conducting guided tours of the Joggins Fossil Cliffs UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Centre, providing on-site verbal interpretation and addressing visitor enquiries. Furthermore, Interpreters will have a role to play in ensuring safe and regulated visitation to the Joggins Fossil Cliffs UNESCO World Heritage Site and Joggins Fossil Centre.
Interpreters gain experience and training in presenting thematic interpretive programs. Interpreters will become familiar with operations at the Fossil Centre, learn to identify and address safety issues when working with the public and will gain knowledge of palaeontology, coastal ecology, wildlife biology, botany, tourism and geology.
1. Deliver scheduled guided experiences on a daily basis, which focus on the fossils and geology of the Joggins Fossil Cliffs, cultural and industrial heritage, and coastal ecology. Interpreters will be expected to lead multiple tours on a daily basis.
2. Deliver educational programming (in the form of activities and games) to groups.
3. Undertake beach monitoring to ensure safe beach access.
4. Adhere to and promote provincial legislation and policies on protection of natural geological heritage and safety.
5. Provide interpretation and respond to visitor enquires.
6. Inspect and address public areas of the Centre, its grounds and the World Heritage Site to ensure cleanliness, safety standards and regulations are met or exceeded.
7. Provide safety and stewardship information that includes tide times and information on site stewardship and legislation.
8. Assist with educational programming (including assisting with children’s day camps) for child & youth visitors.
9. Perform other related duties as required.
• Valid First Aid / CPR Certification and WHMIS.
• Training or equivalent experience using computers and office equipment.
• Training and/or experience in interpretation or public speaking.
• Completion of Criminal Record Search and Child Abuse Registry (after recruitment).
• Students must be enrolled in post-secondary studies; preferably in Earth Sciences and/or Biology
• Completion of relevant certifications, i.e. Super Host and Interpretation Canada Certificates.
• Valid Driver’s license.
Preferred Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
• Customer service experience and/or equivalent training and certification.
• Excellent public speaking and presentation skills with the ability to deliver verbal interpretation.
• Ability to work efficiently and independently with limited supervision as well as in a team environment.
• Ability to understand tide times and the scheduling of events in relation to natural constraints.
• Ability to remain composed during high-pressure situations while prioritising and remaining professional at all times.
• Capable of working flexible hours including most weekends, holidays and some evenings.
• Physically able to conduct tours at the Joggins Fossil Cliffs (climbing stairs, walking on cobble beach for up to approximately 8 kilometres in one day).
• Fluent in both French and English.
Critical Success Factors
• A committed team-worker who is passionate about their personal and professional development.
• The ability to learn and to present acquired knowledge on to third parties.
• Positive attitude, friendly and self-confident nature.
• Patience to deal calmly with demands of customers and staff.
• Flexible, punctual, professional, reliable and not afraid of change.
• Alert mind with an attention to detail.
• Ability to cope with stress and resolve conflict.
• Comfortable with multi-tasking and taking initiative and responsibility.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to Jordan LeBlanc at firstname.lastname@example.org
Retour à la recherche