Bilingual Science Interpreter
- Volet de programme : Jeunesse Canada au travail dans les deux langues officielles
- Titre de l'emploi : Bilingual Science Interpreter
- Nom de l’organisme : Johnson GEO CENTRE
- Lieu de l’emploi : St. John's, Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador
- Durée de l'emploi : 2018-05-07 à 2018-08-26 (12 semaines)
- Salaire horaire : 12,00 $
Bilingual Science Interpreter
Position: Bilingual Science Interpreter
Two positions available, pending approval of funding
Employment Status: Full-Time, Temporary (Summer)
Positions funded through Young Canada Works (YCW)
Hours of Work: 30 – 40 hours per week
Days / Evenings / Weekends
Rate of Pay: $12 per hour
Requirements: Bilingual or Intermediate French
RNC Certificate of Conduct (less than 30 days old)
A minimum of three references
Who can apply: Individuals between 15 and 30 years of age, who have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with provincial legislation and regulations.
Summary of Position:
The Science Interpreter interacts with visitors of all ages, leading tours and interpretive programs within the Johnson GEO CENTRE and GEO-VISTA PARK. Interpreters make a GEO CENTRE visit a memorable experience for the general public, by providing excellent visitor services, knowledge and learning opportunities in a fun, hands-on manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Interact with GEO CENTRE visitors to enhance their experience.
• Provide excellent visitor services and interpretation to the general public including families, school and youth groups, tourists and birthday party groups.
• Work as a member of a team to deliver GEO CLASSES.
• Operate the Steele Earth and Space Theatre, delivering 2D and 3D movies to the visiting public.
• Provide basic security and monitoring of the exhibit spaces.
• Prepare and present daily interpretative programs, tours and science demonstrations.
• Assist with the development of interpretation and exhibit materials, research and develop new public programs when required.
• Promote the GEO CENTRE at off-site locations.
• Other duties as required and assigned.
• A Canadian citizen or permanent resident entitled to work in Canada, between 15 to 30 years of age, coming from and returning to full-time studies in the fall.
• Able to fluently read, write and speak French.
• Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
• Excellent public speaking and communication skills.
• Outgoing, polite, friendly and patient.
• Basic knowledge of the geology and/or cultural history of Newfoundland and Labrador.
• Able to multi-task and work efficiently on individual projects.
• Able to work a variety of shifts.
• Possess moderate computer skills and the ability to learn quickly.
• Preference given to candidates with a background in Science (Earth Science, Biology, Physical Geography), Arts (Archaeology, Anthropology), and/or Tourism.
• Experience working in a science centre or museum an asset.
• Experience leading tours, programs, or day camps an asset.
To Apply: Deliver, email, or fax your resume with cover letter, including three references.
Andrea van Nostrand
Manager, Education & Interpretation
Johnson GEO CENTRE
175 Signal Hill Road
St. John’s, NL
Fax: (709) 737-7889
Applications must be received by 11:59pm, April 15th, 2018.
Applicants who fail to include three references will be screened out of the competition. We thank all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Retour à la recherche