Archives Library Assistant
- Volet de programme : Jeunesse Canada au travail dans les établissements du patrimoine
- Titre de l'emploi : Archives Library Assistant
- Nom de l’organisme : Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies
- Lieu de l’emploi : Banff, Alberta
- Durée de l'emploi : 2017-05-23 à 2017-08-31 (15 semaines)
- Salaire horaire : 16,75 $
YCW Program: Young Canada Works Summer Jobs
Position Title: Archives Library Assistant
Organization: Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies
City / Town / Village: Banff
Province / Territory: Alberta
Length of Assignment: 15 weeks - May 23 to August 31, 2017. Monday-Friday 9 am - 5 pm
Salary per hour: $ 16.75
The Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies in Banff Alberta is looking for an Archives Library Assistant to work with the Head Librarian/Manager Reference Service and the Reference Archivist/Librarian in the Whyte Museum Archives and Library Reference Room, for Summer 2017. The Archives Library Assistant will facilitate public access to the holdings of the Archives, and two special libraries: Archives Library and Alpine Club of Canada Library This position will provide reference service to local/national/international researchers, simple research for long distance clients, and assist the many tourists visiting the Reference Room in the summer looking for genealogical information, general historical information and photographs pertaining to the Canadian Rockies. In addition to reference service, the Library Assistant will assist the Head Librarian in the cataloguing and classification of published materials for the Archives Library. The Library Assistant will also work with the Head Librarian and the Whyte Museum's Marketing and Communications Specialist in increasing the public profile of the Archives Library collection through social media postings.
Education preference: Bachelor of Arts - Social Sciences: History of Western Canada, specializing in the history and culture of the Canadian Rockies ; Master of Library and Information Science or Library Information Technician Program
- Self starting, able to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills and working with the public
- Knowledge of library cataloguing would be an asset
- Knowledge of DBTextworks database would be an asset
- Knowledge of social media
- Familiarity with the back-country/geography of the Canadian Rockies would be an asset
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent keyboarding accuracy
- Security check
- Fragile and irreplaceable documents are in this collection; care and handling is important
- Comfort with ladder use is required as the library shelving is 120 feet high. The use of a 6-step ladder is required.
- Physically fit with the ability to lift boxes up to 20 pounds and carry material up flights of stairs, totaling 20 steps
- Allergy alert: dust and possible mold
Applicants wishing to be considered for this job must comply with the Young Canada Works Summer Jobs eligibility requirements. A student is eligible if they: are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible); are legally entitled to work in Canada; will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment; are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment; will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program; have been a full-time student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW assignment; and intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW assignment.
We welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, and people of all sexual orientations and genders.
Please note: This position does NOT offer accommodation - securing accommodation will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Please send a cover letter, resume to:
Elizabeth Kundert-Cameron, Head Librarian/Manager Reference Service
Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies
email@example.com 111 Bear Street, Box 160 Banff Alberta T1L 1A3
Applications must be received by Sunday, April 23, 2017
Retour à la recherche