- Program stream: Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage
- Job title: Digitization Internship
- Organization name: Hamilton Public Library
- Job location: Hamilton, Ontario
- Length of assignment: 2017-09-05 to 2018-02-28 (25 weeks)
- Hourly wage: $14.00
Hamilton Public Library
Job Title: Digitization Internship
Reporting to the Manager, Digital Services; Provides Cataloguing, Scanning, Imaging and Indexing, and Documents Conversion support; Develops documentation for process and use of technology to perform job duties.
• Scanning, Imaging, Revising, Indexing and Organizing Various Types of Documents.
• Converting Documents to Accessible PDF files, following AODA guidelines.
• Arranging, describing and cataloguing documents and other Board Meetings Materials.
• Coordinates and edits content of web pages to structure and organize uploaded documents focusing on search ability and customer perspective.
• Follows established guidelines to report and resolve problems; escalates complex problems to other staff; contacts Digital Technology Assistants or Manager Digital Services for direction as appropriate.
• Develops training and documentation materials; uses technical documentation provided by a qualified staff member (i.e. analyst or Librarian – as determined by the employer) to develop simple procedures
• Attends and participates in relevant meetings and provides administrative support.
• Writes, updates and evaluates manuals and procedures; maintains and updates procedures related to job duties; forwards for approval
• Writes reports; completes questionnaires; composes correspondence; collects data; compiles statistics
• Oversees and coordinates surveys such as information statistics and use counts
• Attends training sessions and staff meetings
• Performs other duties as assigned that are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university.
1 year recent experience on cataloguing, imaging, indexing and documents conversion is preferred
1 year experience with technical writing for documentation of technology processes and applications is preferred
Skills / Competencies:
Demonstrated knowledge in using various computer software including Adobe Writer and Microsoft Office Suite [JOB-SPECIFIC KNOWLDGE]
Demonstrates skill in communicating, presenting information, writing and active listening [COMMUNICATION]
Displays a strong commitment to service excellence, understands service objectives, recognizes diverse customer and work group needs and provides excellent customer service [CUSTOMER SERVICE FOCUS]
Analyzes and evaluates situations and issues, recognizes problems, anticipates consequences and develops and presents appropriate courses of action. [JUDGEMENT]
Displays a commitment to continuous learning in order to remain current with the library’s policies and procedures, relevant legislation, trends, best practices, new technologies and related general and job-specific knowledge [KNOWLEDGE]
Demonstrates ability to develop and deliver computer and application training and documentation and ability to learn new applications quickly and thoroughly [JOB-SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE]
Prioritizes activities and works effectively independently, as part of a team and leading others; sets and achieves or surpasses goals [RESULTS ORIENTATION]
Physical ability and stamina to operate relevant equipment, to retrieve materials and to perform tasks involving the lifting and movement of library materials and equipment
Works in accordance with all applicable Ontario Public Library, Privacy, Occupational Health and Safety, Employment Standards, Human Rights, Labour Relations and Pay Equity legislation and all other relevant legislation
Adheres to policy and procedures identified in the Hamilton Public Library Manuals
WAGE - $14.00 hourly plus vacation pay paid biweekly - 35 hours per week
Start date – December 1, 2017 or earlier through to March 31, 2018
• The deadline for this application is Monday November 20,2017
• Please visit www.hpl.ca and proceed to Jobs at HPL to apply through City of Hamilton recruiting site.
The Hamilton Public Library is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
By submitting a resume, you are declaring that the information contained is true and complete to your knowledge. You understand that a false statement may disqualify you from employment, or cause your dismissal. We thank all applicants who apply and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Submission of references also stands as consent to obtain reference checks, personal or background checks and personnel file information as the Hamilton Public Library may require in connection with your employment. We respect the confidentiality of applicants and check references near the final stages of the selection process.
The successful candidate will have to provide original proof of a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check. It is understood that the various checks referred are for employment purposes only and you agree that you will not hold any party liable for the information given or received.
Back to search