Archives / Fine Arts intern
- Volet de programme : Jeunesse Canada au travail pour une carrière vouée au patrimoine
- Titre de l'emploi : Archives / Fine Arts intern
- Nom de l’organisme : Mount Allison University Libraries & Archives
- Lieu de l’emploi : Sackville, Nouveau-Brunswick
- Durée de l'emploi : 2017-10-02 à 2018-02-28 (20 semaines)
- Salaire horaire : 15,00 $
Archives / Fine Arts Intern
Organization: Mount Allison University Libraries and Archives
Job Type: Term contract
Position title: Archives / Fine Art intern
Mount Allison University Libraries and Archives invite applications for a term position for an Archives / Fine Arts intern
Reporting to the University Archivist and the University Librarian, the Archives / Fine Arts intern will research and describe records documenting the careers of two Allisonian artists. The position requires excellent research and writing skills, independent initiative, and organization ability. This position is an opportunity for the successful candidate to develop skills that are key to advancement in a professional career including: time management, project management, interacting with stakeholders and working collaboratively with other professionals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The project goal is to provide the Mount Allison Libraries and the broader research community (students, faculty and external researchers) with finding aids and related tools that document the lives and careers of Mary Pratt and Christan Nicholson. A corollary aim of this project is to share information with the Mount Allison community and communicate results to the researcher communities beyond the campus.
The objectives of this position are to provide all the user communities identified in the process with the following:
- Finding aid and related documentation (print and online) that will list the records that are available at the Mount Allison University Archives. It will provide context and document the lives and careers of the two artists in question. This research will form the contextual basis of the outreach portion of the position.
- Development of outreach tools and presentations.
Tasks and activities involved with this project include:
- Research and the writing of contextual document.
- Regular meetings to review progress and refine goals.
- Development of preservation and conservation skills.
- Facilitate engagement with user communities on campus and beyond.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor of Arts (minimum) in History, Anthropology, Conservation, Museum Studies
- Bachelor of Communications
- Bachelor of Fine Arts or equivalent in a related field
- Familiarity in producing scholarly essays, publications, or a thesis.
- Experience conducting research with a combination of the following resources: published materials, artifacts, artworks, archival records, sound recordings, oral histories and / or photographic materials.
- Proficiency with research in Fine Arts
Technical / Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook is considered an asset.
- Excellent communication and writing skills will be expected.
- Demonstrated skills in time management, project management, and team work are considered assets.
- Experience with digitization practices is considered an asset.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience with data entry and exposure to one of the descriptive standards that are part of the work of information professionals (i.e. Resource Description and Access (RDA)).
- Familiarity with care and handling of fragile materials.
- Knowledge of copyright, intellectual rights, information access and privacy laws will also be considered an asset.
Achievement, Motivation, Analytical Thinking, Communication, Continuous Learning, Decision Making, Initiative, Organization and Planning
Salary: $15 hour
Hours of work: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (35 hours per week).
Term: 20 weeks (excluding the Christmas holidays)
Work location: Sackville, New Brunswick
Application URL: TBD
Application deadline: 10 November 2017
How to apply:
Applicant procedure: Applicants must submit their cover letter, resume and a list of three references in pdf format to the following email address - email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to 4:00 p.m., 10 November 2017.
Retour à la recherche