Digital Design Intern
- Volet de programme : Jeunesse Canada au travail pour une carrière vouée au patrimoine
- Titre de l'emploi : Digital Design Intern
- Nom de l’organisme : University of Victoria Libraries
- Lieu de l’emploi : Victoria , Colombie-Britannique
- Durée de l'emploi : 2017-09-11 à 2018-03-02 (24 semaines)
- Salaire horaire : 14,97 $
The University of Victoria Libraries is seeking one dynamic, technically proficient and self-motivated individual for the position of DIGITAL DESIGN INTERN.
The duration of the proposed position is for 15 weeks, excluding statutory holidays, from Monday, September 11th, 2017 – Friday, March 2nd, 2018, and pays $14.97/hour (inclusive of benefits + 4% vacation pay). English fluency is essential, and although French is not required it would be considered an asset.
Reporting to the Manager of the new Digital Scholarship Commons at the University of Victoria Libraries, the Digital Design Intern will work with a team of staff, librarians, developers, and graduate assistants to provide support for student learning and digital exploration. The intern will help students to improve their digital design skills including image editing, print and digital layout, video editing, and drawing. The main goal of this position is to help students learn to use and master applications that are related to digital design. The intern will offer peer support, tutorials, and workshops on tools like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, & Premiere. The intern will be involved in a variety of other tasks related to the operation of the Digital Scholarship Commons, including assisting students in the use of flatbed scanners and 3D printers, and working with the staff team on website design, content creation, event planning, signage, and social media.
Opening in May 2017, the Digital Scholarship Commons at the University of Victoria is a brand new facility will provide students with enhanced access to software, hardware, and expertise to support digital scholarship. The DS Commons will serve students from all disciplines, with a special focus on graduate students, and will act as a hub for students to come together to share knowledge and to collaborate. The DS Commons will employ specialists from different disciplines to support data analysis and visualization, mapping, media editing, layout and design and other areas of high demand.
In order to be most successful, the intern should:
- have recently acquired an undergraduate degree in Fine Arts, Visual Arts, Design, or a related discipline
- have some previous experience tutoring, training, or teaching
- be interested in helping others to develop their technical skills
- have significant experience with Photoshop, Gimp, or other image editing software
- have some experience with Adobe Illustrator and InDesign
- have some experience with Adobe Premiere or other video editing software
- have some experience with website layout and design, including CSS
- experience with 3D modeling is desirable
- be able to work both collaboratively and independently
- have strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, people of all gender orientations, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University.
Interested candidates who are eligible under the YCW Internship program are asked to apply by email, with a cover letter and CV by Friday August 11, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. to:
University of Victoria Libraries
Please note that while we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Retour à la recherche